Sunday, December 05, 2010

Oracle Solaris 11 Express

Yesterday I was making 'finishing touches' with Nexenta GUI.

First, I tried to transfer user accounts from my current Linux server together with theirs UID and GUID. The UID Linux used were in the 500-510 range. The UID Nexenta uses by default are starting with 1000. I tried to manually change UID in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow from 1000 to 500. This has screwed things up so much, that nexenta could not boot. It was sitting with a message 'reading ZFS configuration' or such.

I also tried to rename the mis-spelled volume using Nexenta GUI. At one point I have realized that I'm about to delete all 1.5TB of data I was copying over last 2 days. I did not want that and I clicked 'Cancel' button. Data is gone anyway.

Thinking 'enough is enough', I have booted up commercial Solaris 11 Express in another virtual machine, took virtual disks from Nexenta, assigned them to Solaris 11 and imported the pool.
Wow! I must be out of Solaris world for too long. Unexpectedly to me, not just data and folders were there, they were already exported for me via NFS!

Copying data over again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home